Saturday, October 3, 2009

And then a savior appeared...and she said the wisest thing I've ever heard...

So I was working a few days ago, doing the usual spheal of hellos and how are you today's and getting the usual fines and goods and total ignoring of my presence when I was asked to ring up a little old lady on register 20.

This woman was AWESOME!

She told me to take my time, that she wasn't going to move fast and while she was here I could just take it easy. The world tries to move too fast anyway she says. My bosses close the lane for her, this is just the drill.
She ragged on my bosses, but in a friendly way, very warm and grandmotherly humor.
A lot of the front end ppl came by to say hello to her, She would say,
"Oh hello Evan, yes Jason already helped me out, this nice cashier is doing a wonderful job, but I have to say, Jason did a better job at helping me here then YOU Evan, ah ha ha, just kidding, just kidding you."
All laughs, all smiles.

The best thing she said to me was, "I'm old, I've earned the right to bitch!"
To which I said "Man, I hope I make it to that age then!"
She laughed and laughed like it was the best thing she's ever heard, said don't worry, you will, just take your time getting there.

She was an amazing person.


She is dying of cancer.


She is living every moment of her life upbeat and happy about it. Thankful for and enjoying the time she's got. I'm sure there are negatives, but she doesn't dwell on them.

I admire her, I'm 24 and I envy her, this old woman with cancer, because she has life figured out. So many people never figure life out, I hope I do.

later



And remember,

The world tries to move too fast anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment